3 kids under 5 and a white lounge do not go together – trust me. Not going to happen in a million years that I am buying that lounge for my clients with 3 under 5 sand number 4 on the way – no matter how well behaved they are. And yes I do get asked for a white lounge in these situations…
How to have a nice house with kids?
Having a nice house with kids is entirely achievable with a bit of planning and organization. Here are some tips to create a beautiful and functional home that is also kid-friendly from our Interior Styling expert Mel Grace.
- Choose Kid-Friendly Furniture: Opt for durable, stain-resistant, and easy-to-clean furniture. Look for sofas and chairs with sturdy, washable fabrics, and consider rounded edges on furniture to minimise the risk of injuries.
- Use Storage Solutions: Incorporate ample storage options to keep toys, books, and other kids’ belongings organized and out of sight when not in use. Utilize bins, baskets, shelves, and cabinets to maintain a clutter-free environment.
- Create Kid Zones: Designate specific areas for kids to play, study, and engage in activities. Having dedicated spaces for their belongings and activities will help keep the rest of the house more organised.
- Choose the Right Flooring: Consider kid-friendly flooring options such as hardwood, laminate, vinyl, or stain-resistant carpet that are easy to clean and maintain. Area rugs can also add warmth to a space and can be easily removed for cleaning.
- Childproofing: Ensure your home is properly childproofed to minimise potential hazards. Use safety gates, corner protectors, outlet covers, and cabinet locks to create a safe environment for your kids.
- Create a Family-Friendly Layout: Arrange furniture in a way that promotes easy movement and accommodates family activities. Allow enough space for kids to play, and create cozy nooks for reading or family time.
- Use Washable Paint and Wallpaper: If you want to add color and patterns to your walls, choose washable paint or wallpapers that can be easily wiped down to remove dirt and stains.
- Invest in Quality Storage Furniture: Consider investing in multi-functional furniture like ottomans with storage, beds with built-in drawers, or bookshelves that can double as room dividers.
- Involve the Kids in Decor Decisions: Allow your children to have a say in decorating their bedrooms or playrooms. Incorporating their preferences will make them feel more at home and encourage responsibility for their spaces.
- Keep Decorations Kid-Friendly: Use decorative items that are safe and appropriate for kids. Avoid fragile or sharp decor pieces that may pose a risk.
- Regular Cleaning and Maintenance: Establish a regular cleaning routine to keep your home tidy and well-maintained. Encourage kids to participate in age-appropriate chores to instill a sense of responsibility.
- Balance Style and Functionality: You can have a beautiful home while accommodating the needs of your kids. Choose furniture and decor that reflect your style preferences but are also practical for family living.
Remember, having a nice house with kids is about finding a balance between creating a welcoming and stylish space while ensuring it meets the functional needs of your family. With thoughtful design choices and a focus on organization, you can create a home that you and your children can enjoy together.
Need help to make your house into a home even with kids mess everywhere? Contact us to have a chat about your needs.